Driver – UNDP
|Organization||United Nations Development Programme|
|Practice Area – Job Family||Management|
|Vacancy End Date||23/05/2021 (Midnight New York, USA)|
|Duty Station||Gedaref, Sudan|
|Education & Work Experience||H-Some Graduate School – 2 year(s) experience|
|Languages||Required: Arabic, English|
|Vacancy Type||Service Contract (SC)|
|Posting Type||Common System|
|Contract Duration||One Year|
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Military conflict erupted in November 2020 between the Government of Ethiopia and the Tigray region causing over 62,000 refugees to flee into Sudan seeking protection. These refugees arrive in desperate situations with their most urgent needs being food, medicines, shelter, water, education and livelihoods in general. UNDP has been appointed sector lead on Durable/Transitional Solutions and Host Community Support and has put in place a robust plan including the deployment of an emergency response team in Eastern Sudan to work with UNHCR and other partners to address durable solutions for refugees as well as host communities and communities affected by the influx.
Under the guidance and supervision of the head of the Gedaref office, the driver provides reliable and safe driving services ensuring high accuracy of work. He/she demonstrates a client-oriented approach, a high sense of responsibility, courtesy, tact, and the ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
The Driver provides driving services to the Operations and Programme staff in the Gedaref state, Consultants and Experts, and UN staff on mission.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Provision of reliable and secure driving services.
- Proper use of vehicle.
- Day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle.
- Availability of documents/ supplies.
- Ensures provision of reliable and secure driving services by a) driving office vehicles for the transport of authorized personnel and delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items and b) meeting official personnel and visitors at the airport, visa and customs formalities arrangement when required.
- Ensures cost-savings through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
- Ensures proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes, car washing, etc.
- Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, necessary spare parts.
- Ensures that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Shares knowledge and experience.
- Provides helpful feedback and advice to others in the office.
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair.
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of protocol.
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of security issues.
Leadership and Self-Management:
- Focuses on result for the client.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure.
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of views.
- Performs any other duties as / when requested by his/her supervisor.
Required Skills and Experience
Secondary Education. Valid Driver’s license.
2 years’ work experience as a driver; safe driving record; knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair.
Fluency in the English and national language of the duty station.