Driver – UNDP
|Organization||United Nations Development Programme|
|Practice Area – Job Family||Management|
|Vacancy End Date||06/05/2021 (Midnight New York, USA)|
|Duty Station||Khartoum, Sudan|
|Education & Work Experience||C-HS Graduate or Equivalent – 2 year(s) experience|
|Languages||Required: Arabic, English|
|Vacancy Type||Service Contract (SC)|
|Contract Duration||1 Year with possibility for extension|
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The Community Security and Stabilization programme intends to contribute to the stability and resilience of the selected communities, which are at the risk of being drawn into conflicts in the six states (South Kordofan, Blue Nile, West Kordofan, White Nile, Sennar and North Kordofan). It aims to achieve this by: (i) Strengthening resilience of target communities through diversified alternative livelihoods for vulnerable groups primarily focusing on unemployed youth who are at risk of being drawn into conflicts and vulnerable women, (ii) Creating a conducive environment for graduated small arms control at the sub regional, national and community level to reduce the occurrence of armed conflicts and loss of life, (iii) Provision of socio-economic infrastructure having direct relevance to the conflicts, (iv) Strengthening the communities to manage the community infrastructure and NGO/CBO service providers for improved service delivery to target beneficiaries and communities for long term peace and stability, (v) Promoting cross-border cooperation among the communities and authorities for enhancing stability at the bordering communities.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Operations Associate, the Driver will ensure the provision of reliable and safe driving services to all staff and visitors ensuring highest standards of discretion and integrity, sense of responsibility, excellent knowledge of protocol and security issues. The Driver also demonstrates a client-oriented approach, courtesy, tact, and ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Provision of reliable and secure driving services;
- Proper use of vehicle;
- Day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle;
- Availability of documents/ supplies.
- Ensures provision of reliable and secure driving services by a) driving office vehicles for the transport of authorized personnel and delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items and b) meeting official personnel and visitors at the airport, visa and customs formalities arrangement when required.
- Ensures cost-savings through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
- Ensures proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes, car washing, etc.
- Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, necessary spare parts.
- Ensures that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Provides helpful feedback and advice to others in the office
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of protocol
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of security issues
Leadership and Self-Management:
- Focuses on result for the client
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of views.
- Performs any other duties as / when requested by his/her supervisor.
Required Skills and Experience
Secondary Education. Valid Driver’s license
2 years’ work experience as a driver; safe driving record; knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair.
Fluency in the English and national language of the duty station