Communications Analyst – UNV
|Organization||United Nations Volunteers|
|Duty Station||Khartoum (SDN)|
|Language Skills||English, Arabic|
|Duration||6 months with possibility of extension|
Minimum age: 22 years old. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.
Description of task
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of Head of Communication or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the UNV Communications Analyst will:
Perform planning and implementation of internal and external strategies for communications and outreach focusing on:
- Based on the Annual Work Plan (AWP), and emerging needs of the CO, Senior Management Team (SMT) and UNDP Regional and HQ Offices, developing, promotion and maintenance of multi-channel (i.e. media, digital media) public information campaigns on UNDP activities, development priorities, the SDGs, CO SMT positions and opinions
- Creation, promotion, and dissemination of corporate advocacy materials, including for flagship initiatives and publications such as the Human Development Report.
- Developing bespoke, multi-channel communications campaigns around key UNDP
- Ensuring strong understanding of the UNDP’s work in the country through regular national, regional and global media contacts and provision of newsworthy information to media, the public, international partners and other audiences
- Developing and implementing donor visibility campaigns and activities, and supporting HQ-driven donor visibility efforts
- Reporting on effectiveness of communications activities and outreach, and proposing new innovations and approaches
- Supporting “One UN” and UNDP-specific activities and programmes, including joint UN information campaigns (UN Day, World AIDS Day, etc.)
- As required, supporting thematically focused communications campaigns in response to specific UNDP activities and interventions.
- As required, supporting ad hoc, rapid communications campaigns and activities in response to emerging crises
Support media engagement and issues management:
- In conjunction with other members of the Communications Unit, the Analyst will maintain strong personal contacts with domestic media outlets and Sudan-based journalists representing international media, ensuring the Analyst can adequately guide media interactions.
- Support the CO and Communications Unit in addressing national and international media queries, including liaising with relevant Government, UN and internal stakeholders, and taking into account relevant contextual factors
- Proposing and developing proactive media opportunities, including organization of roundtable discussions, press conferences, briefing sessions, media visits, interviews, launches, etc
- Supporting access for journalists to subject matter experts as well as organizing media field missions to ensure appropriate visibility for UNDP areas of work in Sudan
- Conducting media training for SMT and other CO staff as required.
Produce high quality written, audio visual and other content production:
- Identification of storylines for publications and drafting of substantive articles, opinion pieces and other pieces of content (reports, guides, briefs, speeches etc) highlighting UNDP results and/or contributing to debates on key development issues
- Coordination and management of CO publication activities, such as content management, norms for publishing, design, etc, and reviewing/editing publications and content by other members of the Team and CO to ensure suitable content in line with UNDP Editorial Guidelines and standards
- Coordinate with communications team leads to ensure content utilization for digital/social media platforms, and ensure appropriateness and placement of content on CO and other UNDP platforms
- Coordinate with relevant internal stakeholders and translation service provider to ensure professional quality Arabic translations available, and required communications content available in Arabic
- In conjunction with the Head of Communications and relevant communications team, CO internal stakeholders and other agencies as appropriate, co-ordinate with communications agencies, creative agencies, filmmakers and production agencies, PR agencies, media agencies, design studios for creative outputs, scheduling of tasks, execution as per timelines and plans, review and processing of product development upto completion stage
- Co-ordinate with CO field teams for timely effective implementation of media and content generating activity, collate and document feedback on impact-oriented success stories and follow-up with external agencies for corrective course of action, when necessary
- Facilitate documented sharing of successes and lessons learnt in state, regional and national workshops.
Ensure facilitation of knowledge building and management:
- Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country goals and activities.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice including corporate communications repositories.
- Provision of technical assistance and training, consultancy, and advice to UNDP staff on communications for development and on-ground communication activities to the regions
- Provide writing, editorial and design support for communication and public information needs of the CO and outreach-oriented reports and documents.
Any other related tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor.
Furthermore, UN Volunteers are encouraged to integrate the UN Volunteers programme mandate within their assignment and promote voluntary action through engagement with communities in the course of their work. As such, UN Volunteers should dedicate a part of their working time to some of the following suggested activities:
- Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark International Volunteer Day);
- Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
- Provide annual and end of assignment self-reports on UN Volunteer actions, results and opportunities.
- Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
- Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers;
Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV.
Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
Required degree level: Master degree or equivalent.
Education – Additional Comments:
Master’s degree in media relations, journalism, publishing, politics, international relations, communications, development, or a related field.
Required experience: 24 Months.
Minimum two years of relevant experience at the national or international level in public relations, communications, or advocacy. Previous experience with a multilateral or international organization is mandatory. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages essential.
- English(Mandatory), Level – Working Knowledge
- Arabic(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Area of expertise: Public information and reporting, Other communications related experience.
Area of expertise details:
- Experience with photography, videography, Adobe software (Photoshop, Premiere etc), social media, and web-based management systems is desirable but not mandatory.
- UNDP is a Non-smoking environment
- Ability to form and maintain meaningful working relationships with various members of the media.
- Ability to manage information sharing and partnership alliances between the UNDP and the public
- Ability to translate information into the context of the culture.
- Ability to plan and deliver communication initiatives that make an impact, persuades intended audiences, shapes perceptions of the UNDP and creates positive demand for UNDP’s value propositions.
- Ability to use a range of techniques and intelligence to develop and implement customized initiatives to target varied audiences to meet UNDP’s objectives.
- Ability to develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships with others inside (Programmes/projects) or outside the organization who can provide information, assistance, and support. Sets overall direction for the formation and management of strategic relationships contributing to the overall positioning of UNDP.
- Ability to prepare quality briefs and/or speeches.
- Ability to identify and prioritize risks, and organize action around mitigating them.
Driving license: No.
Accountability, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Working in Teams.
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
This is a national UN Volunteer assignment, therefore only nationals of Sudan and legal residents in Sudan with the status of refugee or with the status of being stateless are eligible to apply.