UN Dispensary Physician – UNDP
|Organization||United Nations Development Programme|
|Title||UN Dispensary Physician|
|Practice Area – Job Family||Management|
|Vacancy End Date||16/04/2021 (Midnight New York, USA)|
|Duty Station||Khartoum, Sudan|
|Education & Work Experience||I-Master’s Level Degree – 5 year(s) experience|
|Languages||Required: Arabic, English|
|Vacancy Type||FTA Local|
|Contract Duration||1 Year with possibility for extension|
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The UN Physician will be part of the UN clinic team in Sudan administered by UNDP. The incumbent will attend to the UN Clinic on a full-time basis and provide medical services to staff members and their dependents. In addition, he/she will facilitate medical evacuations and cooperate with headquarter offices on all related matters. The incumbent is responsible for the day to day running of the UN Clinic, and ensure consistent delivery of high-quality medical services to all UN Agencies staff in Sudan.
Under the overall supervision of the UN Clinic Health Manager, S/he will provide clinical services including medical consultations and emergency care, promote proactive occupational health policies, best practices, and procedures in the medical services in conjunction with the Administration. This will include outreach to staff and dependents in the areas of preventative health. The incumbent is expected to take part in the HIV work in the UN workplace as outlined in UN Cares and UN Plus. S/he is part of the emergency response team and will as such work closely with UN Department of Safety and Security UNDSS in implementing CASEVA and mass casualty response. S/he will deputize the UN Clinic Health Manager when needed.
S/he will be based in Khartoum, Sudan with frequent travel in-country to monitor health conditions of staff in the field offices and to provide assessments to all available medical facilities in the field.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Clinical Duties
- Medical Administrative Duties
- Coordination of UN Cares activities
- Emergency medical response
- Provide advices and medical services for the HIV/AIDS field
1. Clinical Duties:
- Full time presence in the United Nations Clinic;
- Respond to acute emergencies in line with international protocols such as advanced trauma life support management and advanced cardiac life support, or Pre-Hospital Trauma life support;
- Perform triage and primary stabilization;
- Undertake day-to-day clinical duties, e.g. walk-in clinic, pre-placement and periodic medical examinations and immunizations;
- Provide health education;
- Participate in addressing work environment and occupational health issues;
- Undertake medical examinations for UNDP and UN Agencies staff and dependents;
- Diagnose and recommend treatment to all staff/dependents visiting the Clinic on a daily basis;
- Be on call during and outside office hours to observe and treat emergencies in the UN Clinic;
- Undertake house calls when required;
- Responsible for entry and periodic medical examinations for United Nations staff members who choose to use the UN Clinic for their examinations;
- Deputize the UN Clinic health manager as needed.
2. Medical Administrative Duties:
- Liaise with other UN Clinics and medical facilities abroad to coordinate medical evacuations;
- Follow the United Nations established policies and procedures regarding medical clearances, sick leave and medical evacuations;
- Recommend medical evacuation when deputizing the UN clinic health manager or when the incumbent is delegated to do so to Resident Representative of the involved Agency, Fund or Program (act as the medical expert and submit the evacuation request / advice of UN Medical Director) and facilitate medical evacuations authorized by the UN Medical Director;
- Responsible for all paperwork and reporting procedures for medical evacuations in line with UN Rules and procedures;
- Ensure proper follow up on all cases;
- Application of terms of reference in UNDP POPP for rules and regulations regarding UN Clinic operations;
- Responsible for establishing good relations with reliable hospitals, private medical facilities and blood banks and local physician, including UNEP if available;
- Keep constant contact with the United Nations Designated Examining Physicians to facilitate their availability as and when required;
- Ensure that proper medical records are kept in a strictly confidential manner and advise health precautionary steps to new staff members;
- Maintain emergency medical supplies and equipment to be used in case of emergency situation;
- Replenish first aid kits and other essential medical supplies kept in other duty stations within the country;
- Prepare and send periodic (quarterly) reports of functions, visits, medical evacuations, and treatments at the UN Clinic to the United Nations Medical Service when deputizing for the UN Health Manager.
- Advice on health precautionary steps to be undertaken at the duty station, and perform any other duties as considered necessary by the United Nations Medical Director and/or the UN Resident Coordinator.
3. Supervisory Administration when deputizing the UN Health manger:
- Supervise, distribute work to the nurse (s) and other staff of the United Nations Clinic;
- Manage day-to-day mission medical support operations by ensuring availability of supplies and proper functioning of medical equipment when she/he deputized the UN Clinic health manager
- Ensure that appropriate training programs are implemented in order to maintain and develop the medical capabilities (e.g. health education, HIV/AIDS prevention, first aid and CPR);
- Responsible for regular reporting on clinic activities, medical facilities available locally and other statistical information as may be required.
4. Coordination of UN Cares Activities, and Support the UN clinic health manager on:
- Plan and organize training of focal points and peer educators;
- Arrange the dissemination of UN policies on HIV/AIDS;
- Conduct education and information campaigns.
5. Provide advices and medical services for the HIV/AIDS field:
- Undertake HIV pre-test counselling.
- Conduct HIV test result disclosure and post disclosure counselling.
- Work closely with the supervisor to ensure that patients receive all necessary services with strict confidentiality.
- Offer HIV medical referrals as needed.
- Ensure the availability of Post Exposure Prophylactic (PEP) Kits in the UN Clinic to be used at all times when needed.
Ability to make new and useful ideas work: Adept with complex concepts and challenges convention purposefully
Ability to persuade others to follow: Generates commitment, excitement, and excellence in others.
Ability to improve performance and satisfaction: Models independent thinking and action
Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform: Synthesizes information to communicate independent analysis.
Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement: Meets goals and quality criteria for delivery of products or services.
Knowledge of clinical, occupational and tropical/travel medicine. Formal training in CPR and, preferably in BCLS and ACLS or equivalent emergency medical care. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work: Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise.
Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently: Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise.
Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honors commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable: Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise: Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise.
Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority; makes sure that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clear to each staff member; accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills; monitors progress against milestones and deadlines; regularly discusses performance and provides feedback and coaching to staff; encourages risk-taking and supports creativity and initiative; actively supports the development and career aspirations of staff; appraises performance fairly: Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise.
Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly; gathers relevant information before making a decision; considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them; takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organization; proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information; checks assumptions against facts; determines the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision; makes tough decisions when necessary: Apply & Adapt: Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced University Degree in Medicine, from an accredited University and currently licensed to practice within home country or other national jurisdiction;
- Certification in Advanced Trauma Life support, Advanced cardiac Life support OR Prehospital trauma life support is desirable;
- Certification in HIV care OR VCCT is desirable.
- At least five years progressive experience and practice in general medicine of which at least one year should be in Trauma and Emergency care and two years in Internal Medicine;
- Surgical, ICU, aeromedical or anesthetic experience is an advantage;
- Experience in Tropical Medicine,
- Previous UN medical system/international medical experience is desirable.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) is expected.
Fluency in the English and Arabic is required.