Associate External Relations and Reporting Officer – UNV
|Organization||United Nations Volunteers|
|Duty Station||El Daein (SDN)|
|Language Skills||English, Arabic|
|Duration||12 months with possibility of extension|
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Description of task
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of Head of Field Office or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the UN Volunteer Associate External Relations and Reporting Officer will:
Based in East Darfur, cover East and South Darfur states in the following functional tasks:
- Keep abreast all developments in operations to prepare appropriate briefings and reports;
- Prepare periodic reports, i.e. donor updates, internal sitreps (weekly and monthly), briefing notes for senior managers, and activity-specific reports as required.
- Prepare funding submissions for donors and draft any required after-action reports.
- Develop and maintain working relationships with the government, NGOs, and UN agencies to ensure cooperation in inter-related activities.
- Support the UNHCR-led Cluster activities by preparing and distributing minutes, assisting in the organization of meetings; occasionally chairing meetings, and serving as the general secretariat for the relevant Cluster.
- Support the supervisor in preparation for meetings and missions drafting of talking points.
- Organize and accompany missions for VIP visitors, delegates to visit refugee sites or the activities of UNHCR implementing partners.
- If there is no Public Information (PI) focal point in country, serve as PI focal point, contributing to and coordinating press events, interviews, PI missions and other activities related to information dissemination to the general public to promote UNHCR activities.
- Prepare and update briefing notes for each operation as well as profiles for each camp/settlement.
- Attend inter-agency meetings and report on action points;
- Take the lead on mid-year and end year reporting to HQ;
- Produce and edit high quality media and communications materials for various audiences for timely dissemination via UNHCR’s communications channels;
- Perform any other tasks as directed by the Head of Field Office.
Furthermore, UN Volunteers are encouraged to integrate the UN Volunteers programme mandate within their assignment and promote voluntary action through engagement with communities in the course of their work. As such, UN Volunteers should dedicate a part of their working time to some of the following suggested activities:
- Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark International Volunteer Day);
- Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
- Provide annual and end of assignment self- reports on UN Volunteer actions, results and opportunities.
- Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
- Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers;
- Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering, or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
Required degree level: Bachelor degree or equivalent
Education – Additional Comments:
Bachelor or higher degree (Master’s or equivalent) in a relevant area, e.g. International Relations, Political Science, Journalism, Communications; Law or a first-level university degree or equivalent in combination with relevant training and/or professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
Required experience: 24 Months
At least 2 years of professional work experience at the national and/or international level in in a field related to external relations, communications, media relations or reporting or other relevant programmes; experience with UNHCR is an asset, as is experience working in the UN system or other international development organization.
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
- Arabic(Optional), Level – Working Knowledge
Area of expertise: Journalism, mass media and broadcasting, Public information and reporting, Other communications related experience.
Area of expertise details:
- Excellent oral and written skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills;
- Accuracy and professionalism in document production and editing;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels; familiarity with tools and approaches of communications for development;
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel;
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet; familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment;
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines;
- Sound security awareness;
Driving license: No
Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Working in Teams.
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of
your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly,
select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage
and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.