Civil Engineer – UNV
|Organization||United Nations Volunteers|
|Duty Station||Khartoum (SDN)|
|Duration||until 30 June 2022 with possibility of extension|
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Description of task
- Under the supervision of the UNITAMS Chief Engineering, the Civil Engineer will be responsible for all construction supervisory tasks as well as project management. The tasks shall include but not limited to:
- Perform daily site supervision for all ongoing projects including construction of multistoried buildings
- Prepare site reports for all ongoing works including daily, weekly and monthly reports
- Inspection of all works done by the main and sub- contractors including valuation of works undertaken, inspection, testing and verification of quality of works undertaken as per the contract specifications
- Measure quantities and verify all interim payments certificates and preparation of payment requests orders for approval by the Project Team Leader
- Daily site inspection and supervision of all civil and building works
- Managing, supervising and visiting the site work and advising on environmental issues
- Develop professional relations with internal and external teams responsible for implementation of the projects
- Direct support implementation and maintain standards promoting achievement of successful execution of the projects, Identify appropriate work steps, structures and processes to accomplish goals.
- Plan, execute and provide overall supervision of solid waste management
- Any other duties assigned by the team leader or project team supervisor
Required degree level: Bachelor degree or equivalent
Education – Additional Comments:
Bachelor of Civil/Structural Engineer, Chartered Structural Engineer of any accredited college or university or demonstrated equivalent education
Required experience: 60 Months
Minimum five (5) years of experience in the structural and building construction supervision works, project management and progress report writing.
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Area of expertise: Civil engineering and construction supervision, Other engineering and construction related experience, Sustainable natural resources management and climate change adaptation.
Area of expertise details:
- Writing in English to a high standard of precision and clarity is essential.
- Solid working knowledge of International Standards such as International Building Codes (IBC), American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM), British Standards (BS), and European Code, etc.
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD or other CADD system, Microsoft Office Suite and Project software packages;
- Ability to work within United Nations and follow established processes and procedures;
- Experience in handling multiple, demanding, and complex projects in a timely manner with accurate results. Ability to work independently and in team situations;
- Valid driver’s license and proven ability to drive manual gear 4×4 vehicles;
- Affinity with or interest in volunteerism as a mechanism for durable peace and development and the UN System;
- Sound security awareness.
Driving license: Yes
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Client Orientation, Commitment and Motivation, Communication, Creativity, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Professionalism, Technological Awareness, Working in Teams.
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of
your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly,
select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage
and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.