Project Analyst – UNDP
|Organization||United Nations Development Programme|
|Practice Area – Job Family||Management|
|Vacancy End Date||01/04/2021 (Midnight New York, USA)|
|Duty Station||Khartoum, Sudan|
|Education & Work Experience||G-Bachelor’s Level Degree – 4 year(s) experience, I-Master’s Level Degree – 2 year(s) experience|
|Languages||Required: Arabic, English|
|Vacancy Type||Service Contract (SC)|
|Contract Duration||1 Year with possibility for extension|
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UNDP is the knowledge frontier organization for sustainable development in the UN Development System and serves as the integrator for collective action to realize the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). UNDP’s policy work carried out at HQ, Regional and Country Office levels, forms a contiguous spectrum of deep local knowledge to cutting-edge global perspectives and advocacy. As part of the UN country team in Sudan, UNDP aims to contribute to the significant reduction of extreme poverty, a peaceful democratic transition and resolution of all conflicts in the country and to support the establishment of a critical mass among Sudan’s people that is ready and able to engage in the development process of the country. In line with the overarching SDG goal “Leave No One Behind” (embedded among others in SDGs 16 1, 5,10, and 13), our programme interventions target localities characterized by high levels of poverty and exclusion and those affected by conflict.
Responding to these challenges, UNDP working in close collaboration with the Ministry of Federal Governance have produced a project document entitled: Sudan Subnational Governance Resilience Project (SGRP). The project has been designed to provide immediate support to subnational governance stakeholders (with focus on local governments) and bring rapid concrete results in terms of continuity in the delivery of essential services in a context of multiple crises. Indeed, subnational governance systems in Sudan, including state, localities and communities, are exposed to the combined shocks and stresses caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, recurrent natural disasters and the political, institutional and fiscal disruptions brought by the democratic transition, in addition to persistent local conflict dynamics in certain settings. If the resilience of subnational governance for service delivery is not buttressed in the difficult times, ultimately, this will translate into harsher socio-economic consequences on the people – and the most vulnerable will pay the heftiest price.
Under the overall guidance of the Head of Governance & Stabilization unit and direct supervision of the Programme Officer, the Project Analyst will follow on the day to day implementation of the project in the selected states supervise, facilitate and resolve any challenges faced by partners executing the project. The Project Analyst is also expected to assist in analysis of political, social and economic trends and provides policy advice services in the assigned thematic area. S/he will assist in formulation, management reporting and monitoring of programme and project activities and is responsible for the performance of the assigned project. Further, the Project Analyst shall work in close collaboration with the operations team, programme staff, Government officials, technical advisors and experts, donors and civil society ensuring successful implementation of the project.
The Project Analyst is also expected to assist in identification of emerging opportunities for resource mobilization with external donors and trust funds as they relate to the assigned thematic area and provides inputs for the development of internal and external knowledge networks of practitioners.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Implementation of project/ programme strategies.
- Management of the project activities.
- Supports creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy.
- Provision of top-quality policy advice services to the Government and facilitation of knowledge building and management.
1- Ensures implementation of Project/programme strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Thorough analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation in the country and preparation of substantive inputs to Common Country Analysis (CCA), United Nations development Assistance Framework (UNDAF), Country Programme Document (CPD), Country Programme Action Plan) (CPAP) and other documents.
- Identification of areas for support and interventions within the thematic/sectoral areas assigned especially in the areas of women’s empowerment, human rights, youth, participation and democratic representation, access to justice, conflict resolution, transparency and anti-corruption, citizen security, and decentralization as well as the identification of new innovative technologies and policies to overcome these challenges.
- Integration of corporate / regional best practices and programme standards into the assigned projects. Contribute to the promotion and observation of the UNDP Gender Equality Strategy 2014-2017 particularly with regard to the mainstreaming of HIV and gender equality in all programmes and projects under her/his management.
- Full implementation of corporate quality and monitoring standards relating to the strategic plan and the PPM reform within her / his projects.
- Effective application of Result based Management (RBM) tools, establishment of project portfolio management targets and monitoring achievement of results.
2- Participates in effective management of the project activities within the practice area specialization assigned focusing on quality control from formulation to implementation of the country programme achieving the following results:
- Design and formulation of the project activity within the area of responsibility, translating UNDP’s priorities into local interventions and recommending appropriate implementation modality. Coordination of programme implementation with the responsible agencies. Introduction of performance indicators/ success criteria, cost recovery, targets and milestones.
- Contribute in provision of technical guidance and advice in local governance and service delivery with careful regard to improving the ability of governments to plan, provide and deliver basic services and enhance their capacity and legal frameworks to prepare and implement development plans.
- Assist in initiation of projects, presentation of projects to LPAC, project management in Atlas, finalization of contribution agreement; determination of required revisions; coordination of the mandatory and budget re-phasing exercises, closure of projects through review. Perform functions of Manager Level 1 in Atlas for POs and vouchers approval (if delegation received) and participates in recruitment processes for projects.
- Ensures Financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of the projects, identification of operational and financial problems, development of solutions. Assessment of project impact in consultation with government and relevant counterparts.
- Participation in audit of direct implementation (DIM) and National implementation (NIM) projects. Follow up on audit recommendations. All exceptions are timely reported.
- Aggregate reports are regularly prepared on activities, outputs and outcomes within her / his projects. Preparation of donor reports.
3- Supports creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participate in dialogue with Sudanese public institutions, civil societies and criminal justice institutions to expand knowledge and understanding of relevant legislation in support of programme initiatives.
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs in collaboration with academia and senior practitioners on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, active contribution to the overall office effort in resource mobilization.
- Assist in facilitating debate with a broad range of partners, including young people themselves, in addressing youth empowerment issues in the national context.
- Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to programme country policy goals.
- Participate in developing of policies and institutions that will address the country problems and needs in collaboration with the Government and other strategic partners.
- Engage in global advocacy and analysis to leverage and disseminate gender knowledge, in alliance building and promotion of enabling frameworks on key gender issues.
4- Provides top quality advisory services to the Government and ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country policy goals.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Organization of training for the operations/ projects staff on programme issues.
- Professional growth through active learning.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating teamwork
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Knowledge Management and Learning
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
Level 1.2: Preparing information for advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
Level 1.2: Contributes into results through primary research and analysis
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation
- Analyzes country situation to identify opportunities for project development
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals and ensures substantive rigor in the design and application of proven successful approaches and drafts proposals accordingly
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.2: Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up to date on partnership related issues
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
Level 1.2: Enhancing processes or products
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches
Resource Mobilization (Field Duty Stations)
Level 1.2: Providing inputs to resource mobilization strategies
- Analyzes information/databases on potential and actual donors
- Develops a database of project profiles. Identifies opportunities for project proposals for presentation to donors
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.2: Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.2: Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up to date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
Level 1.2: Preparing information for global advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences
- Identifies and takes advantage of opportunities for advocating for UNDP’s mandate
Level 1.2: Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in law, Business Administration, Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related field.
- A first-level university degree in combination with additional two years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- 2 years with a Master’s degree, or 4 years with a Bachelor degree of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Proven practical experience in developing and implementing strategies.
- Work experience in supporting access to justice and the rule of law is desirable.
- Work experience in capacity building of Human Rights institutions is is desirable.
- Fluency in both English and Arabic.