Finance Associate (GFATM) – UNDP
|United Nations Development Programme
|Finance Associate (GFATM)
|Practice Area – Job Family
|Vacancy End Date
|04/03/2021 (Midnight New York, USA)
|Education & Work Experience
|G-Bachelor’s Level Degree – 3 year(s) experience, H-Some Graduate School – 5 year(s) experience
|Required: Arabic, English
|Service Contract (SC)
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The GFATM Finance Associate will work Under the overall guidance of Programme Manager and the direct supervision of the Admin./Finance Specialist. The Finance Associate will support the implementation of the GFATM financial activities. The Finance Associate supports a collaborative, client-focused, quality and results-oriented approach in the team. The Finance Associate works in close collaboration with the programme, procurement, and monitoring and evaluations staff within the Global Fund unit and the UNDP Country Office.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of UNDP and GF operational strategies;
- Accounting and administrative support;
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing;
- Any other task assigned by the Supervisor.
1. Ensures provision of support to management of ongoing project activities, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance with UNDP rules and regulations of financial processes, financial records, GF reports and audit follow up;
- Solid understanding on the Accounting Principles and Audit Procedures to ensure that all financial transactions will refer to the guide lines of UNDP;
- Implementation of the effective Internal Control Framework.
2. Ensures effective accouting and administrative services, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Preparation of all types of vouchers for GFATM related projects and PO vouchers for GFATM programme along with supporting documents;
- Effect payments using ATLAS programme, ensuring accuracy of computation and completeness of supporting documentation and preparing for payments (check and bank transfer);
- Proper control of the supporting documents for payments;
- Prepare and maintain quarterly advances and financial reports and keep a track of all funds released;
- Prepare necessary documentation for quarterly advances and their settlement in line with the UNDP standard financial procedures;
- Assist in the preparation and modifications of budgets for projects;
- Maintain and prepare monthly account reconciliation for all SRs;
- Prepare budget revisions, as required and maintain updated the projects information in ATLAS;
- Prepare for annual audits of PR and SRs (inclusive SSRs if any) as required by the GF and ensure that external auditors have all relevant information. Follow up on audit reports to ensure that recommendations in audit reports are implemented;
- Assist in Analysing and providing reasons for the budget variances between the actual and budgeted expenditures for both PR and SR expenditure;
- Maintain an accessible filing system in the project relating to finance;
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas; travel claims, POs and other entitlements are duly processed;
- Timely corrective actions on un-posted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers;
- Prepare necessary documentation related direct implementation and timely release of funds, their settlement in line with the UNDP standard financial procedures;
- Initiates correspondence to verify data, answers queries and obtains additional information on accounts and financial transactions as required, also propose improvements in the practices of the programme to ensure maximum efficiency and effectiveness;
- Act as a backup to the Asset Focal point in the maintenance of records on assets management.
3. Support knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Supports the organization of trainings for the GF staff on Finance;
- Supports the synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in Finance;
- Participation in the training for the operations/programme staff;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-contro;l
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others;
- Informed and transparent decision making.
Building Strategic Partnerships
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position;
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Ability to perform work of confidential nature and handle a large volume of work;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Responds to client needs promptly.
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems.
Required Skills and Experience
Minimum Bachelor Degree in Accounting and/or Finance, certified public accountant or hold CPA degree is desirable.
Secondary education. BA /BSc degree in Business Administration, Bachelor of Commerce, Finance and any other related fields would be desirable but it is not a requirement.
- Min five (6) years (with Secondary education), or, min three (3) years (with Bachelor Degree) of relevant experience in finance/accouting and/or administration or programme support service.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.).
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Candidates with experience in dealing with GFATM projects would be having a distinct advantage.
Fluency in both written and spoken English and Arabic.