Adolescent and Youth Development Specialist – UNV
|United Nations Volunteers
|El Geneina (SDN)
|12 months with possibility of extension
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Description of task
As a UNICEF UNV AYD Specialist you will work on a specific project that provides adolescents and youth with opportunities to gain knowledge and skills which enable their creativity, participation and help them to be agents of change, contributing peace building and social cohesion in their respective communities.
The activities you will support and develop include training volunteers for 20 youth centres, youth friendly spaces, develop comprehensive life skills training, identify youth friendly trainings/services, vocational trainings, ALP, gender awareness/advocacy and gender-sensitive youth programming trainings, management trainings and institutional capacity building for 20 Youth Organization in Central and West Darfur States. You will be responsible for the identification of youth targeted services, based on needs assessment, and to be a participatory approach with the active involvement of youth, and other project stakeholders such as community leaders and parents.
Together with UNICEF team and other stakeholders in W&C Darfur, you will support young people to develop ideas and solutions to respond to modern day challenges in their communities.
You’ll get to present your ideas and outputs. You’ll also receive technical support from the team responsible for Peace Building Program and you will be supervised by Geneina CFO.
Main assignment`s responsibilities will include:
- · Develop comprehensive life skills training for adolescents and youth, including engaging youth in peace building;
- · Develop training program for 200 youth volunteers on how to run 20 youth centres in Central and West Darfur States
- · Through participatory assessment, identify youth friendly trainings/services, including vocational trainings, ALP, gender awareness/advocacy and gender-sensitive youth programming trainings needed in W&C Darfur.
- · Support the roll out of UNICEF Sudan youth and Adolescent development programmes including UPSHIFT, Generation Unlimited, Hackathons and innovation labs.
- · Assist with the undertaking of capacity-building activities for partners and create knowledge management;
- · Support innovative research with children and young people, including vulnerable child and adolescent’s participation in enhancing their protection as a part of the peace building initiatives
- · Identify and develop management trainings and institutional capacity building for 20 Youth Organization in W&C Darfur.
- · Together with other partners, participate in coordination of all youth development initiatives in the two states.
- · Contribute regular reporting on the youth peace building component of the PBF program.
‘’Extractive and an Inquisitive mind’: Thematic research
- · Scouring social media and identifying trends existing youth innovation activities, social entrepreneurs and technological ecosystems in Sudan; Identifying relevant influencers who UNICEF can collaborate with.
‘Find Time’: Related local and global conversations
- · Join internal programme conversations (webinars, thematic working groups) and meetings.
- · Join relevant external meetings, conferences and events within Sudan
Furthermore, UN Volunteers are encouraged to integrate the UN Volunteers programme mandate within their assignment and promote voluntary action through engagement with communities in the course of their work. As such, UN Volunteers should dedicate a part of their working time to some of the following suggested activities:
- • Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark International Volunteer Day);
- • Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
- • Provide annual and end of assignment self- reports on UN Volunteer actions, results and opportunities.
- • Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
- • Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers;
- • Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering, or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
Required degree level: Bachelor degree or equivalent.
Education – Additional Comments:
Bachelor degree in Social Science, or related fields.
Required experience: 60 Months.
5 years of experience on Youth and Adolescent engagement, preferable in peace building contexts.
Experience working in the UN or other international development organization an asset
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
- Arabic(Optional), Level – Working Knowledge
Area of expertise: Community participation and development, Youth and sports.
Area of expertise details:
Know ‘Human Centered Design’ and its application to social issues especially youth development issues
Familiar with how technology, social entrepreneurship interfaces with youth development
Excellent communication and written skills.
Driving license: No
Client Orientation, Communication, Ethics and Values, Professionalism, Working in Teams.
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
First register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup.
Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at
https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
First update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile.
Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which
you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 21 January 2021.
For Jobs From United Nations Volunteers Visit: UNV Jobs
To help you improve your career, we offer you free courses offered by International Organizations and Universities on our site: English Courses