Individual contract for national consultant Water engineer – UNDP
|United Nations Development Programme
|Individual contract for national consultant Water engineer
|Vacancy End Date
|21/12/2020 (Midnight New York, USA)
|Elfasher – North Darfur with travel to other Darfur states., SUDAN
|Type of Contract
|Duration of Initial Contract
|Expected Duration of Assignment
The Security Council resolution 2495 (2019) decided that UNAMID should continue to implement its mandate as set out in the resolution 2495 (2019) which contains a transition concept for North, South, West and East Darfur where the Mission should engage in joint implementation with the UNCT through the State Liaison Functions (SLFs). From 1 January 2019 onwards, the mandate and corresponding Mission Concept tasks UNAMID to co-locate with several UNCT partners and jointly implement the mandate to enable a full transition of tasks by the extended end date of the Mission on 31 October 2020. Under the revised structure, UNAMID and the UNCT will optimize efforts on protective measures leading to increased stabilization throughout Darfur and to promote a shift from the humanitarian angle of protection of civilians to support to the Government of the Sudan for the establishment of a long-term protective environment, in line with international humanitarian laws and human rights standards. Joint efforts will focus on sustainable solutions to the critical drivers of conflict in order to prevent a relapse and enable the Government of the Sudan, the United Nations agencies, funds and programmes (AFPs), civil society partners, as well as international actors to prepare for UNAMID’s eventual exit.
Stabilization constitutes a critical component of the peace process and is considered an urgent priority for progress on the security and stability in Darfur. Additionally, Darfur is among the most heavily impacted regions by the high influx of South Sudanese refugees fleeing from South Sudan due to conflict and instability. The region currently hosts a cumulative number of 157,041 South Sudanese refugees since the start of the influx of refugees in Sudan following outbreak of conflict in its neighboring South Sudan as reported in the UNHCR Sudan Population Dashboard, 30 Sep 2019 edition. Darfur still has 1.8 million IDPs and their return may pose a huge challenge to resettlement including land, basic service, food and non-food items, etc.
- Programme Description
UNDP Sudan is currently implementing Community-Based Development Solutions for Migrants and Host Communities Programme. In order to address the structural challenges migrants face, a thorough analysis on their vulnerabilities and a needs assessment were conducted considering development interventions under the Humanitarian Development Peace Nexus. This requires smooth coordination with other agencies and incorporates processes allowing to coordinate and complement efforts put in place by several agencies.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform technical assessments and prepare Bills of Quantities (BOQs), estimate cost, general specifications and drawings for the construction and rehabilitation of water and water related infrastructure projects.
- Develop technical documents required for bid solicitation in order to ensure the quality of the technical documents/Statement of Work (SOW).
- Assist the procurement team in the preparation of the tender documents (ITB /RFQ), undertake the technical evaluation and participate in the tender evaluations.
- Prepare/revise technical documents (Drawings, Technical Specifications, and Bill of Quantities) and any other documents required for the tendering process.
- Work closely with C2SP Engineer in Khartoum and UNDP Procurement Unit to finalize the technical documents (Drawings, BoQ and Specifications) for the bid solicitation purposes.
- Prepare a timeline implementation schedule to ensure efficient implementation of all construction related project activities.
- Supervise, monitor and provide technical inputs on ongoing construction and rehabilitation works, working in close coordination with ministry departments and the Procurement team;
- Prepare a format for progress reports, financial reports, to be used by contractor.
- Supervise the completion of works, ensuring the above works are completed as per the BoQ, drawing and in accordance with the agreed work schedules. Make sure that quality of the works comply with norms and standards agreed.
- Submit a progress report after the completion of each field visit or as required.
- Verify work of the contractors and certify that all required tasks have been completed satisfactorily.
- Perform the technical acceptance procedures on completed works.
- Record all transaction such as starting date, work suspension or any technical changes brings in construction details.
- Preparing weekly and monthly reports and milestone payment reports.
- Provide periodic reports to Programme Coordinator and DDR/C2SP Engineer in Khartoum;
- Perform any other project related duties as requested by Programme Manager and Coordinator;
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism;
- Ability to work with a multi-cultural and diverse team.
- Demonstrated experience in management and monitoring of civil work projects, especially in the field.
- Demonstrated experience in using of Engineering software’s, proven sketching and drawing skills, sound computer skills (AutoCAD, arch CAD etc.);
- Demonstrated strong communication, coordination and facilitation skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills and reporting.
Required Skills and Experience
BSc. degree in Water Engineering or Earth science related to ground water with four years’ experience, or Diploma degree with 15 years of professional experience in above fields.
- At least 10 years of proven working experience in water projects.
- At least 5 years of proven experience in all aspects of construction and rehabilitation of water projects monitoring/evaluation.
- Proven sketching and drawing skills, sound computer skills (AutoCAD, arch CAD etc.);
- Knowledge of project management software (e.g., MS project) will be an asset
- Strong IT skills;
- Previous working experience in Darfur will be an advantage;
Fluency in Arabic and English is required with good verbal and drafting skills.
For Jobs From United Nations Development Programme Visit: UNDP Jobs
To help you improve your career, we offer you free courses offered by International Organizations and Universities on our site: English Courses