Logistics Associate – UNV
|Organization||United Nations Volunteers|
|Duty Station||Khartoum (SDN)|
|Language Skills||English, Arabic|
|Duration||12 months with possibility of extension|
Minimum age: 22 years old. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.
Description of task
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Head, Field Operations, the incumbent will be responsible for broad based support to the successful management of downstream supply activities such shipping and clearance activities undertaken by UNFPA Sudan Country Office. This position will support the country office with procurements, management of shipments, customs clearance, regulatory compliance, import activities and any insurance related matters for management of programme supplies in Syrian county office. The Logistics Associate will also assume the responsibility of liaising with the relevant stakeholders for obtaining facilitation letters for inland shipments and ensuring compliance with the 2018 policy on management of programme supplies.
A. Pipeline monitoring and customs clearance of offshore shipments
- In close collaboration with the RHCS Assistant, follow up with Procurement Service Branch (PSB) on the timely issuance of shipping documents for international shipments.
- Review documents for accuracy and submit exemption letter to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs as per national requirements.
- Coordinate with Custom Clearing & Forwarding agents on a day to day basis to ensure timely clearance of supplies from the ports of entry.
- Keep track and respond timely on queries that may arise from time to time from MOFA/MOH/HAC/etc.
- Advise/Assist concerned staff responsible for Sudan Country Office shipments on clearance related matters whenever required.
- Follow up all Airfreight shipments through Beirut and prepare the needed documents to the Lebanese authorities.
- In collaboration with programme staff, the logistics Associate is supporting the monthly distribution plan for in-land shipments.
B. Management of Transportation and Processing of Distribution Plans for all UNFPA shipments
- Follow up with the budget owner and respective programme unit to coordinate receipt in warehouse, distribution, or direct hand-over to Implementing Partners (IPs) for both international and local shipments.
- Ensures coordination with NMSF/WFP/LC or warehouse manager and prepares Service Requests Forms (SRFs)/Delivery Slips/Receiving and Inspection (RIR) for all UNFPA shipments.
- In coordination with the freight forwarders, prepare and submit the facilitation letters for incoming shipments as needed from port of entry to destination.
- Prepares monthly stock values, calculates the applicable inventory insurance and shares the budget with the insurance focal point in PSB.
C. Information & Inventory Management
- Keeps the Shipment Tracker (ST) focal point informed of all movements in/out of the warehouse and all other deliveries from port/supplier directly to the IP. The logistics Associate is responsible to provide the shipment tracker focal point with the required documentation to update the inventory in UNFPA’s ERP.
- Prepares, logs and archives all logistics related documents in accordance to the organizational requirements.
- Maintains a report on the status of goods in transit/incoming shipments and shares the status with programme & operations units across UNFPA.
- Liaison with HQ team on inventory related matters such as: aging inventory, request for inventory right off (RIWA), Shipment Tracker status/reconciliation/adjustments/etc., update on locally procured goods and any other inventory related ad hoc requests.
- Follows up on authorization to hold static inventory with the Humanitarian Adviser in the Regional Office.
D. Quality Assurance activities, End-user Monitoring and Inventory control and Any other duties as required
- Participates in spot checks and assessments of Implementing Partners (IPs) with a focus on logistics/warehouse/distribution compliance and subsequent capacity building.
- Contribute to the development of inventory tracking/reporting tools and SOPs developed by UNFPA in Sudan.
- Coordinate pre-shipment inspections for designated shipments.
- Coordinate quarterly and annual physical inventory counts of programme supplies stored in UNFPA managed warehouse. In addition, if need be, the logistics Associate is responsible for the reconciliation of the physical count sheets and the submission of the certifications (quarterly and annual) in AODocs.
- Support in supply chain/procurement/logistics activities as requested by the supervisor.
Furthermore, UN Volunteers are encouraged to integrate the UN Volunteers programme mandate within their assignment and promote voluntary action through engagement with communities in the course of their work. As such, UN Volunteers should dedicate a part of their working time to some of the following suggested activities:
- Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark International Volunteer Day);
- Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
- Provide annual and end of assignment self- reports on UN Volunteer actions, results and opportunities.
- Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
- Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers;
- Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering, or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
Required degree level: Bachelor degree or equivalent.
Education – Additional Comments:
Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Public Administrations, Economics or related field.
Required experience: 24 Months
Two years of experience in procurement, Logistics, supply chain, admin, finance or general operations management is required.
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
- Arabic(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Area of expertise: Logistics and supply management, Administration and administrative assistance, Finance, accounting and audit.
Area of expertise details:
- Knowledge of automated procurement systems and experience in handling of web-based management systems
- Experience with UN Agencies is an asset.
- Humanitarian experience in an asset
- Ability to implement procedures for warehousing and stock management.
- Proficiency in current office software applications.
Driving license: No
Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Working in Teams.