Operations Analyst – UNDP
|Organization||United Nations Development Programme|
|Locations||Khartoum, Sudan, SUDAN|
|Application Deadline||10-Sep-22 (Midnight New York, USA)|
|Time left||9d 17h 6m|
|Type of Contract||Management|
|Languages Required||Arabic ,English|
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
|Duration of Initial Contract||One year with possibility for extension|
|Expected Duration of Assignment||One year with possibility for extension|
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
OHCHR is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
OHCHR does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
On 25 September 2019, the Government of Sudan and the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights signed the Host Country Agreement paving the way for the establishment of a fully mandated OHCHR office in Sudan, with sub-offices in Darfur, Southern Kordofan, Blue Nile and East Sudan. On 27 September 2019, the Human Rights Council adopted resolution 42/35, which welcomes the commitment of the Government to establish a fully mandated country office with field presences and requests the Secretary General to provide all the resources necessary to establish and operate such a country office.
Following the signature of the Host Country Agreement with the Government of Sudan, OHCHR is taking action to establish an office in Sudan by deploying a start-up team to Khartoum by end of November 2019. The OHCHR Sudan Country Office’s mandate has four priorities that are aligned the new Government’s priorities and the vision laid out in the Constitutional document: (1) social and economic rights; (2) legal and institutional reform and transitional justice; (3) civic and democratic space; and (4) monitoring and advocacy. These four areas of work build on the priorities defined in the Office’s management plan (United Nations Human Rights Management Plan 2018-2021). The strategy takes into account the UN’s “Visioning Exercise” for Sudan, which recognized the importance of supporting human rights reform and promoting economic development. It contributes to operationalize the UN’s decision to prioritize gender equality and women’s rights, as well as the participation of youth, in line with OHCHR’s spotlight populations.
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Head of Office, the Operations Analyst is responsible for various operational matters, including travel, transportation, facilities management and protocol. He/she analyzes and interprets operations related rules and regulations and provides solutions to a wide spectrum of complex operational issues.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of operational strategies
- Assists and monitor OHCHR administrative/financial resources.
- Enhances the quality of operational support services
- Lead the operations team to ensure provision of high-quality operations services:
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
1. Ensures implementation of operational strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Conceptualizes and develops effective working strategies for the operations unit. The incumbent keeps abreast of latest OHCHR operations trends and the Secretary General’s policies and objectives on operational services and ensures full compliance of operational activities with UN/OHCHR rules, regulations, policies, strategies and the internal control framework.
- Advises the Head of office on policy matters relating to administration, export/import, visa, travel, UN Common Services, etc.
- Formulates the yearly Operations unit plan in synchronization with the OHCHR Country Office Management Plan considering business needs and identifying possible risks and opportunities for improving operational processes
- Coordinates CO business processes mapping and elaboration/establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures, control of the workflows in the Operations Unit.
2. Assists and monitor OHCHR administrative/financial resources, implementation of resource mobilization strategies and organizes an optimal cost-recovery system focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provides support with respect to the review, analyses and preparation of the medium-term plan and its revisions.
- Prepares supporting documents (narrative and supporting tables) with respect to finalization of cost estimates and budget proposals, in terms of staff and non-staff requirements.
- Assists the head of the office in the elaboration of resource requirements for budget submissions.
- Monitors expenditures and compares with approved budget; prepares adjustments as necessary.
- Reviews requisitions for goods and services to ensure (a) correct objects of expenditure have been charged, and (b) availability of funds.
- Assists in preparation of budget performance submissions and finalization of budget performance reports,
- Analyzing variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures.
- Co-ordinates with other finance and budget staff on related issues during preparation of budget reports.
- Periodic reconciliation of accounts and preparation of financial reports to donors etc.
- Record in Umoja transactions related to budget revisions, direct disbursements and obligating documents (fund commitments).
- Review the monthly OHCHR Inter-office Vouchers and other monthly financial reports related to HQ and field presences to ensure validity, accuracy, and compliance with UNFRR prior to the upload in Umoja.
- Review data on monthly staffing for HQ and field presences
- Drafts or prepares correspondence to respond to inquiries in respect to relevant financial and budget matters.
- Processes the payment of contractors’ invoices and monitor payments, expenditures and compares with approved budget; prepares adjustments as necessary;
- Assists managers in the elaboration of resource requirements for budget submissions;
- Assists in preparation of budget performance submissions and finalization of budget performance reports, analyzing variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures;
- Performs other related duties, as assigned by the head of the office.
3. Enhances the quality of operational support services in the OHCHR Sudan CO:
- Provides on-going comprehensive review of existing administrative systems aimed at being efficient, results oriented, applying integrity and respect.
- Responsibly manages the work of and supervises the staff of the Operations unit.
- Conducts regular meetings to monitor the work plans and ensures the smooth functioning of the unit.
- Prepares TORs for new or revises existing contracts for outsourced services such as shipping, cleaning, travel etc.
- Collaborates with the Procurement Unit for the development of long term agreements to support streamlining processes and expediting the delivery of quality operational services.
- Initiates innovative methods to enhance efficiency of the travel agency services for timely response, ensuring the application of appropriate rules and regulations.
- Negotiates with vendors to obtain quality goods at comparative rates.
- Ensures the efficient and safe management of OHCHR transport fleet, controls and monitors vehicle usage, mileage, petrol consumption and drivers’ performance over-time.
- Ensures the management and control of an accurate and updated inventory record of office non-expendable goods.
- Ensures timely action for the transfer or disposal by auction of project and obsolete vehicles and equipment.
4. Lead the Operations team to ensure provision of high-quality operations services:
- Leads the operations team through results-oriented work planning, guidance, direction, supervision and performance assessment, promoting a work environment conducive to producing the expected outputs and delivering quality services for managing facilities, transportation, fleet maintenance, travel and protocol.
- Provides overall supervision and guidance in the management of the outsourced services (Cleaning, Generator Maintenance, etc), maintenance of the OHCHR and utilities (electricity, telephone, water etc), facilities.
- Establishes and assures quality standards of the business services delivered.
- Reports and communicates results of continuous improvement strategies, aiming at improving the overall economy, efficiency and effectiveness of expected results.
- Makes recommendations for the improvement and enhancement of the entire office facilities and utilities and its maintenance and up-keep.
5. Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization of trainings for the operations staff on related issues.
- Participation in projects/programme/senior management meetings as advisor on operational matters.
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in Operations.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice
Ability to make new and useful ideas work: Adept with complex concepts and challenges convention purposefully
Ability to persuade others to follow: Generates commitment, excitement and excellence in others.
Ability to improve performance and satisfaction: Models independent thinking and action
Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform: Synthesizes information to communicate independent analysis.
Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement: Meets goals and quality criteria for delivery of products or services.
Knowledge of OHCHR administrative, financial and human resources policies, practices, and procedures and ability to apply them in an organizational setting.
Planning & Organizing
Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments.
Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise.
Required Skills and Experience
An advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Business Administration, Business Management, Development Management or related areas.
A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of 2 years with a Master’s degree or 4 years with a Bachelor’s degree of progressively professional experience in public administration or business administration, preferably in a large international organization.
An in depth knowledge of OHCHR policies and procedures, rules and regulations and knowledge of the UN system is an asset.
Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
Fluency in both spoken and written English and Arabic is required.