Communications Coordinator – UNV
|Organization||United Nations Volunteers|
|Duty Station||Khartoum (SDN)|
|Language Skills||English, Arabic|
|Duration||6 months with possibility of extension|
Minimum age: 22 years old. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.
Description of task
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of [insert function] or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the UNV Communications Coordinator will:
- In consultation with the Communications Team Leader, assist in coordinating communications and public information campaigns and related issues and in various follow-up activities
- Assist in carryout out communications and public information activities specifically in support of augmenting WFP’s life-saving food assistance due to increased food insecurity due to COVID-19;
- Help to ensure that information, education and communication materials on COVID-19 prevention measures during the distribution of humanitarian assistance are widely distributed and promoted across humanitarian operations;
- Support in tasks related to the development, implementation and monitoring of joint UN communications initiatives, including COVID-19 response
- Specifically support in tasks related to coordinating joint information campaigns to support the humanitarian response in light of increased humanitarian needs due to COVID-19
- Support the preparation of key messages in light of how COVID-19 has exacerbated humanitarian needs, specifically food insecurity, and help draft messaging around how humanitarian operations will adjust, respond and ‘build back better’ from COVID-19
- Participate in and take meeting notes of Core Donor Working Group Meetings and UN Communications Working Group Meetings to support the coordination of joint communications initiatives
- Contribute to the preparation of various written documents, e.g. fact sheets, situation updates, key messages, overviews, press releases, and human interest stories
- Coordinate the collection, production, and publication of communications materials and content from area and field offices
- Maintain an archive of communications materials including a photo database
- Support the country office in monitoring the media and feeding into public perception analyses
- Assist in ensuring the continuous and timely flow of information related to WFP’s programs to external audience, including the media
- Supports in the organization of UN press conferences, public events, communications campaigns, media dialogues, and journalist missions to facilitate information related to food security
- Maintain awareness of humanitarian and political developments related to food security issues
- Any other related tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor.
Required degree level: Master degree or equivalent
Education – Additional Comments:
Masters degree in Communications, Journalism, International Relations, Political Sciences, Public Relations, Social Sciences, Community Development or Administration.
Required experience: 24 Months
At least 2 years of professional work experience at the national and/or international level in communications or journalism related to political, development or humanitarian issues, is an advantage. Additional professional experience in an international organization is strongly preferred.
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
- Arabic(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Area of expertise: Public information and reporting, Journalism, mass media and broadcasting, Other communications related experience.
Area of expertise details:
- Good technical knowledge of photography, design tools, and editing software to create external communications products.
- Excellent oral and written skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills;
- Accuracy and professionalism in document production and editing;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels; familiarity with tools and approaches of communications for development;
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel;
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet; familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment;
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines;
- Sound security awareness;
- Have affinity with or interest in addressing the root causes of hunger and volunteerism as a mechanism for peace, sustainable development, and the UN System.
Driving license: No
Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Working in Teams