Head of RCO Field Office – UNDP
|Title||Head of RCO Field Office|
|Posting Date||10/20/2021, 04:38 PM|
|Apply Before||11/04/2021, 05:59 AM|
|Education & Work Experience||Master’s Degree|
|Vacancy Type||Fixed Term|
|Other Criteria||A minimum of seven years of experience|
|Bureau||Regional Bureau for Arab States|
|Contract Duration||1 Year with Possibility for extension|
The UN Resident Coordinator’s Office (RCO) supports the Integrated Office of the Deputy Special Representative of the Secretary General / Resident / Humanitarian Coordinator (DSRSG/RC/HC) and the UN Country Team (UNCT) to ensure the strategic, coherent, and efficient functioning of the UN System in Sudan so it can achieve the strategic priorities identified in the UNCT workplan and other strategic and operational documents guiding the work of the UN in the country. This is done in close integration with the United Nations Integrated Transition Assistance Mission in Sudan (UNITAMS).
The RCO supports to the UN Agencies, Funds and Programmes’ (UN AFPs) coherent response to achieve tangible results in the areas of strategic planning, development economics, partnership and development finance, information management, communications and advocacy. It backstops the RC to ensure the coordination of the UN’s development activities and effective advocacy of UN values, standards and principles on behalf of the UN.
The Head of RCO Sub- Office will be based in Abyei, co- located with UN AFPs camp within the United Nations Interim Security Force (UNISFA) premises. S/he will provide coordination services and contribute to UN programming, facilitate the transition of humanitarian to recovery and resilience building, coordination support to community peacebuilding activities and analysis of context, information management, advocacy and reporting.
- Key functions to support strengthened coordination in Abyei require to: Strengthen coordination mechanisms to, inter alia, maximize inclusion of key actors (UN, NGOs, partners and stakeholders) in order to support the transition from relief to recovery
- Provide coordination services with an emphasis on the humanitarian- development- peacebuilding nexus approach, contribute to community peacebuilding activities in order to promote social cohesion and co- existence,
- Coordinate and strengthen planning processes, monitoring and evaluation mechanisms, Strengthen Information Management Processes for effective programmatic response in order to improve decision making of the UN, partners, stakeholders and civil society,
- Support and facilitate links between UN/Partners and local actors at Abyei level.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the overall supervision and guidance of the Senior Development Coordination Officer, Strategic Planning and RCO Team Leader, the Head of RCO Field Office will lead the RCO office in Abyei and coordinate closely with the UN team.
Coordination and Management
- Overall management and administration of the RCO Field Office in Abyei and perform coordination roles for effective and genuine partnership between UN agencies, I/NGOs and local stakeholders,
- Provide coordination services and UN programming support, with an emphasis on HDP nexus approach, to the UN AFPs, I/NGOs, partners and local stakeholders. Coordinate UN AFPs within Abyei and liaise with UNCT and UNISFA in inter-alia for RRR, Humanitarian/Recovery Affairs and Human Rights and Protection. Represent UN RCO and UN AFPs, where applicable, in various UNISFA’s forums including but not limited to Senior Management Group (SMG), Security Management Team (SMT), weekly briefings and other relevant foras.
- Strengthen coordination mechanisms to, inter alia, maximize inclusion of key actors (UN, NGOs, partners and stakeholders) in order to support the transition from relief to recovery. Lead the transition from humanitarian to recovery coordination.
- Support sectoral coordination mechanism and the sectoral leads ensuring that sector coordination where possible is vested in local authorities, and that meetings are inclusive of all agencies and actors in the sector.
- Ensure liaison and coordination with local authorities/stakeholders and service delivery agencies in taking forward the recovery agenda and promote area coordination between initiatives of major donors and agencies.
- Facilitate the coordination for community peacebuilding activities to promote social cohesion and co- existence, provide analysis of the Abyei context, recovery situation and attention to addressing the underlying causes of conflict.
- Coordinate the development of the annual Work Plan in Abyei and its successor the CCA/UNSDCF process.
- Prepare proposals for the allocation of RCO, UN DCO funds and local donors for Sub- Office operations in Abyei. Monitor and control the usage of these funds, review transactions and prepare expenditure reports.
- Decides on plans and policies affecting Field Office operational systems including oversight of strategies at both unit and individual level.
- Deal with access issues locally where possible and refer to Khartoum as appropriate. Play interface roles among UNISFA, UNAFPs and aid community to enhance effective coordination and serve as security contact point for the aid community. Contribute to facilitate various donor and high- level UN delegations in Abyei, with the support from UNISFA and UN AFPs.
Information management and reporting
- Coordinate information management system, information sharing/dissemination. Develope situational reports concerning local needs, aid efforts and operational context. Based on such information, provided analytical feedback, and advice to the UNCT through the RCO.
- Develop joint monthly report, together with OCHA, UN AFPs and I/NGOs, covering Abyei context, cluster/sector-wise updates and share with UNCT/donors.
- Support UNCT’s context analysis exercise providing inputs to Abyei situation and advisory services through political, socio- economic analyses to guide the UN programming and advocacy for and promoting conflict sensitive development.
- Together with OCHA and UN AFPs, contribute to UN reports including of the UN Missions by providing inputs on humanitarian/recovery situation to the UN department of peacekeeping operation (DPKO), UN Secretary- General (UNSG) and UN Security Council (UNSC).
- Provide structured reports on the situation and activities within Abyei. Identification and commissioning studies in support of the work of the UNCT.
- Maintain who what where database for use by all agencies showing agency contact details, locations, sector of intervention and funding.
UN Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation
- Lead the strategic planning processes, provide field inputs to the CCA, UNSDCF and ISF processes as well as replicate UN’s various initiatives and external partnerships and joint resource mobilization efforts. Provide field inputs for the UNSDF and ISF annual reports.
- Coordinate UN planning processes, Programme Criticality (PC) exercises and various surveys and assessments as requested by the UNHQ, UN RCO and UN AFPs country offices,
- Lead an area-based monitoring and evaluation system that provides input to the analysis of the process, outputs and impact of the collective UN recovery assistance in the Abyei area.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
Technical / Functional Competencies
- Strategic vision and strong analytical capabilities
- Ability to negotiate at decision-making level
Experience in Humanitarian and Transition Coordination
- Able to apply existing knowledge and resources to provide quality advice and services and improve organizational performance
Manage for Results
- Translate strategic aims into achievable plans with established priorities, monitor them, making periodic adjustments as required.
- Master’s degree in international development, public administration, business administration, public policy or other relevant social sciences
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in strategic planning, sustainable development policy, project/programme management, or resource mobilization in the context of development cooperation or related area is required
- Strong written and spoken English.
- Knowledge of Arabic language is an added asset.
Candidates selected pursuant to this vacancy may be subject to UNDP’s policy on Probation upon assignment.