Operations Officer – UNICEF
Operations Officer, NO-B, Temporary Appointment, Gadaref, Sudan, (5 months)
|Contract type:||Temporary Appointment|
|Advertised:||18/08/2021 E.Africa Standard Time|
|Deadline:||26/08/2021 E.Africa Standard Time|
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, hope
Sudan, surrounded by the Central African Republic, Chad, Egypt, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Libya and South Sudan, positioned next to East, West, South and North Africa, is surrounded by complex conflicts in an unpredictable, volatile and rapidly evolving region. Sudan is by size the third biggest country in Africa, with a diverse population of around 42 million people. Sudan’s children make up half of the total population, and the past two decades have seen their lives significantly improve: fewer girls and boys are dying before their fifth birthday, primary school attendance is increasing, immunization coverage is high and the country remains polio-free. Still, millions of children continue to suffer from protracted conflict in Darfur, the Kordofan’s, and the Blue Nile, from seasonal natural disasters, malnutrition and disease outbreaks, and from under-investment in basic social services. More than three million of Sudan’s school-aged children are not in the classroom. UNICEF has been in Sudan since 1952 and continues with a presence in 12 of Sudan’s 18 states.
How can you make a difference?
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
- Valuing People: Implement people resources strategies to promote technical competence and foster career progression and retention of a “fit for purpose”/ agile workforce
- Valuing Money: Champion strategic resources to achieve organizational goals and ensure Value for Money (VfM)
- Valuing Risk Management: Enhance Risk Management to increase organizational performance and strengthen internal control
- Valuing Systems and Structures: Ensure further operational centralization and optimization for maximized efficiency gains
- Valuing Partners: Strengthening internal and external-facing partnerships and leveraging UNICEF’s oversight and understanding of financial management across all areas of the office
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- A University Degree (Bachelor’s) in one of the following areas is required:
- Business management
- Financial management
- Public Finance
- Related operations function (Supply Chain, Human Resources, Information Technology, International Business, Project management, etc.)
- A professional license from internationally recognized institutions is an asset.
- A minimum of 2 years of professional experience, is required, specifically in one or more operations management area including budget; financial management and reporting; facilities management; administration; supply and logistics management; information and communication technology; human resources.
- Experience in a UN system agency, large private or public company, or experience working in a developing country and/or humanitarian/ emergency context is an asset.
- Experience in working with corporate ERPs (Enterprise Resource Planning) and IPSAS (International Public Sector Accounting Standards) is highly desirable.
- Understanding of Results Based Management is a requirement.
- Experience in supporting successful client-oriented work units is an asset.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications is required.
- Fluency in English and Arabic is required.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA)
The UNICEF competencies required for this post are:
- Nurtures, Leads and Manages People (1)
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (2)
- Works Collaboratively with others (2)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (2)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (2)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (2)
- Drive to achieve impactful results (2)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (2)
- Emotional Intelligence
- Managing complexity and change
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
** Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
*** Candidates found suitable for this post will be stationed in Gadaref.
Advertised: 18 Aug 2021 E. Africa Standard Time
Deadline: 26 Aug 2021 E. Africa Standard Time
UNICEF, also known as the United Nations Children’s Fund, is a United Nations agency responsible for providing humanitarian and developmental aid to children worldwide. The agency is among the most widespread and recognizable social welfare organizations in the world, with a presence in 192 countries and territories.
Headquarters: New York, NY
What does UNICEF do in the United Kingdom?
UNICEF keeps children safe by providing vaccines against deadly diseases, distributing mosquito nets and by promoting safe hygiene in communities around the world. We are the world’s largest supplier of emergency life-saving food for children. And we campaign tirelessly to end violence against children.
For jobs from UNICEF visit: UNICEF Jobs Page