Programme Assistant – UNDP
|Organization||United Nations Development Programme|
|Practice Area – Job Family||Management|
|Vacancy End Date||19/07/2021 (Midnight New York, USA)|
|Duty Station||Khartoum, Sudan|
|Education & Work Experience||C-HS Graduate or Equivalent – 5 year(s) experience, G-Bachelor’s Level Degree – 2 year(s) experience|
|Languages||Required: Arabic, English|
|Vacancy Type||Service Contract (SC)|
|Contract Duration||1 Year with possibility for extension|
UNHABITAT is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNHABITAT does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UN-Habitat’s programmes and projects have been designed to provide adequate shelter, housing, land, and property rights (HLP) and better living condition for all, particularly to those who are in poor and/or in emergency condition. In Sudan, most of the humanitarian operations aim to provide only short-term emergency support, which need to be followed by mid-term, more sustainable solutions such as supporting shelter and living condition which UN-Habitat surely has expertise. Furthermore, UN-Habitat Sudan has comparative advantage to provide technical and substantive support on comprehensive and strategic planning and managing living condition through spatial planning including basic services and public facilities particularly vulnerable population.
UN-Habitat in Sudan has developed in recent years a complex but consistent programme that addresses HLP, sustainable urbanization, public/basic services delivery, housing development and livelihoods, among other aspects, with activities ranging from policy and strategy making, to studies and assessments, training and capacity development, and implementation of physical interventions at the local level, using participatory approach and alternative construction technologies. UN-Habitat is intensifying its contribution to Darfur, Blue Nile, White Nile and other states in the aim to gradually prepare the grounds for an eventual transition from humanitarian assistant to recovery and development. UN-Habitat has been providing technical assistance in Sudan in the areas of Urban Planning, Land Management, Pro-poor Housing and community basic services and infrastructure through a variety of joint projects with other UN agencies.
Alongside with its current programmes, UN-Habitat Sudan aims at further expanding its early recovery and development programming in East Sudan and the three Protocol Areas in order to successfully answer the significant challenges that are connected with designing an effective strategy of intervention as well as operating in an area characterized by considerable security concerns. In order to achieve a strong institutional presence in Sudan that will allow UN-Habitat Sudan to most efficiently implement its programmes, UN-Habitat is strengthening its capacity in Khartoum to be able to respond to the planned expansion.
The Programme Assistant will work under the supervision and guidance of the Head of the Country Office through Programme Associate in coordination with the Programme and Operations staff in Khartoum Office.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Administrative support to programme associate & operations unit under the guidance of the head of country programme
- Maintain Inventory records
- Provide logistical support to Khartoum and field offices
- Provide financial support
1- Administrative support to programme & operations unit
- Provide assistance to programme staff, and consultants to obtain and or renew their IDs, and ensure visas and stay permits are granted for the international staff and consultants ;
- Maintain project and office records and filing system;
- Ensure that necessary office stationery and supplies are stocked.
2- Maintain Inventory records
- Maintain project inventory records, and process/follow-up on payments, requisitions and purchase orders and other financial transactions;
- Assist for developing and managing office fixed assets register, manage inventory exercise and maintain updated management system of assets and ensure timely reporting of project inventory.
3- Provide logistical support to Khartoum and field offices
- Assist monitoring vehicle movement for Khartoum Office, and facilitate transportation of staff for their timely meetings outside the office
- Make logistic support and administrative arrangements to workshops and training, including COVID 19 mitigation measures, venue, catering, stationeries, invitations distribution, travel and accommodation when necessary;
- Assist for booking of tickets.
4- Provide financial support
- Assist in processing payments, salaries, allowances, travel entitlements claims etc and other financial matters for project staff, consultant and experts;
- Assist in the process of procurement in tender processing, and maintain list of vendors by categories,
- Monitor and follow up with vendors until safe and timely delivery of quality goods and services.
- Ensure reliability of providers of goods and services.
- Demonstrates commitment to the UN’s mission, vision and values.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Provides helpful feedback and advice to others in the office
- Be flexible as member of the team to assist Admin-supporting staff as required;
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of protocol
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of security issues
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of views.
Required Skills and Experience
- Completion of the secondary education preferably with specialized certification in Administration.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Project Management, and any other related fields would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- 5 years of experience (with Secondary education), or 2 years of experience (with Bachelor degree) in administration, financial and programme support service. At least one year with international organization.
- Knowledge and understanding of the UN financial regulations and Rule is an asset.
- Fluency in English and Arabic is required.
UNDP in Sudan
In Sudan, UNDP supports a broad range of development interventions. At present, this focuses on support for Sudan’s transition, coupled with efforts on peacebuilding and stabilization, climate-resilience and access to energy, and broader health and economic improvement. Learn more about our impact in 2019.
What we do
With dedicated support from donor nations, the international community, and national and international partners, UNDP works in Sudan to deliver on our promise to empower resilient nations.
Serving as the main development integrator in Sudan, UNDP supports SDG-focused strategic capacity development initiatives nationwide, focusing on: inclusive socioeconomic transformation and revival; restoring governance through inclusive and accountable institutions; sustaining and consolidating local peacebuilding; and investing in a new Green Deal through renewable energy and climate resilience efforts.
Through our active partnerships with national and international entities, UNDP strives to eliminate poverty, enable recovery, ensure effective management of natural resources, and advance peace and social cohesion.
Achieving this will require investment in stabilization and resilience strengthening at all levels of society, in tandem with humanitarian assistance – while overcoming and building forward better post-COVID-19.
For jobs from United Nations Development Programme in Sudan visit : UNDP Jobs Page