Program Assistant – UNDP
|Organization||United Nations Development Programme|
|Agency||Resident Coordinator Office|
|Practice Area – Job Family||Management|
|Vacancy End Date||07/07/2021 (Midnight New York, USA)|
|Duty Station||Khartoum, Sudan|
|Education & Work Experience||G-Bachelor’s Level Degree – 2 year(s) experience, H-Some Graduate School – 5 year(s) experience|
|Languages||Required: Arabic, English|
|Vacancy Type||Service Contract (SC)|
|Contract Duration||One yaer|
RCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
RCO does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Programme Analyst, the Administrative Assistant provides support to office operations performing a variety of standard administrative processes ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The Administrative Assistant promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach.
The Administrative Assistant works in close collaboration with the Operations, Programme and projects staff in the CO and other UN agencies staff to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
The functions/duties/ key results of this job description are generic and not all duties are carried out by all Administrative Assistants. Some specialized functions can be implemented by Logistics Assistants (shipments, insurance, deliveries, customs clearance).
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Support to effective and efficient functioning of the PBF’s Secretariate and the DPA (Deputy Peace Adviser).
- Support to provide administrative and logistical services.
- Support to provide finance assistance to the PBF projects.
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing
. 1. Ensures effective and efficient functioning of the PBF’s Secretariate and the DPA (Deputy Peace Adviser)., focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of administrative activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies, and strategies.
- Provision of inputs to the CO administrative business processes mapping and implementation of the internal standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Provision of inputs to preparation of administrative team results-oriented workplans.
2. Ensures effective administrative and logistical support for the PBF Secretariate and the DPA, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provide project associate support to the PBF project with specific attention to Activity1 on planning and logistics.
- Planning and execution of events, meetings, and programs, including technical and logistical support to preparation of invitation letters, activities, and reading materials.
- Develop a detailed work action plan for the implementation of project activities with special attention to activity1.
- Ensure that the inputs are relevant to the activities, and the activities are relevant to the results and ensure that value for money is observed throughout the project implementation. This is relevant to the procurement and recruitment processes and logistical needs in accordance with Activity1.
- Preparation of POs for travel activities.
- Support to the PBF Secretariate of procurement processes including preparation of request for direct contracts, request for procurement of consultancies, request for position advertisement, contracting documents, receipt of quotations, and Preparation of POs.
- Arrangements of travel and hotel reservations, preparation of travel authorizations, processing requests for visas, identity cards and other documents.
- Administrative support to conferences, workshops, retreats.
- Collection of information for DSA, travel agencies and other administrative surveys, support to organization of common services.
- Arrangement of vehicle transportation
- Custodian for management of office stationery supplies including maintenance of stock list of stationery, distribution of stationery as required by staff and keeping a log of distribution.
- Maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials.
- Extraction of data from various sources.
- Research and retrieval of statistical data from internal and external sources; preparation of statistical charts, tables and reports.
- Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of the reports to head of unit.
3. Provides support to provide finance assistance to the PBF projects, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Prepare comprehensive and timely financial activity reports when needed.
- Prepare the financial payments for the consultants and follow up with finance section to produce the checks. This include preparation of all required paperwork and follow up on creation of vendors and POs.
- Assistance in the preparation of budget, provision of information for audit.
4. Support knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the training for the operations/projects staff on administration.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
IV. Impact of Results:
The key results have an impact on the efficiency of the unit. Accurate presentation of information strengthens the capacity of the office and promotes the image of UN/UNDP as an effective contributor to the development of the country.
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.1: Maintaining information and databases.
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.1: Basic research and analysis
- Research best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.1: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position.
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks.
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
Level 1.1: Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions.
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
Level 1.1: Data gathering and implementation of management systems.
- Uses information/databases/other management systems.
Level 1.1: Maintains effective client relationships.
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines.
- Responds to client needs promptly.
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
Level 1.1: Gathering and disseminating information
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education with specialized administrative training.
- University Degree would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- 5 years with Secondary Education or 2 years with bachelor’s degree of progressively responsible administrative, programme experience is required at the national or international level. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.), experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in English and arabic are requird.
UNDP in Sudan
In Sudan, UNDP supports a broad range of development interventions. At present, this focuses on support for Sudan’s transition, coupled with efforts on peacebuilding and stabilization, climate-resilience and access to energy, and broader health and economic improvement. Learn more about our impact in 2019.
What we do
With dedicated support from donor nations, the international community, and national and international partners, UNDP works in Sudan to deliver on our promise to empower resilient nations.
Serving as the main development integrator in Sudan, UNDP supports SDG-focused strategic capacity development initiatives nationwide, focusing on: inclusive socioeconomic transformation and revival; restoring governance through inclusive and accountable institutions; sustaining and consolidating local peacebuilding; and investing in a new Green Deal through renewable energy and climate resilience efforts.
Through our active partnerships with national and international entities, UNDP strives to eliminate poverty, enable recovery, ensure effective management of natural resources, and advance peace and social cohesion.
Achieving this will require investment in stabilization and resilience strengthening at all levels of society, in tandem with humanitarian assistance – while overcoming and building forward better post-COVID-19.
For jobs from United Nations Development Programme in Sudan visit : UNDP Jobs Page