Country Director – Medair
Field based position in Khartoum, Sudan.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 6 to 12 months minimum.
Oversee all programme and support activities in-country. Representing Medair in all issues relating to the country programme, the Country Director plays a key role in donor relations and manages the country strategy and the project implementation in conjunction with senior field managers.
Medair’s emergency response team deployed to Sudan in February 2020 with the objective of re-applying for country registration and to re-establish relationship with government authorities, donor agencies, UN partners, and INGOs. The team has also been ascertaining information on gaps and priorities to understand the humanitarian context, and identifying programmatic gaps for potential interventions. As of March, Medair obtained registration to start programming in Sudan and will soon be starting a COVID-19 response in Khartoum. As Medair transitions into long-term programming with a focus on multi-sector projects (Health, Nutrition, WASH, Shelter and NFI) in vulnerable communities, strong leadership will be needed to guide the team during this time of transition and growth, and to provide strategic vision for the future of this exciting re-start. Medair previously worked in Sudan between 2000-2012 in West Darfur, South Kordofan and the outskirts of Khartoum.
Key Activity Areas
Leadership and Management
- Design, update and evaluate the country strategy, with the relevant senior field managers and GSO staff. Consider community needs, donor criteria and strategies and an exit strategy in order to facilitate the long-term planning and development of the projects in the country.
- Support and oversee the monitoring, evaluation and reporting on the implementation of the planned activities in accord with the project proposals and logical frameworks and institutional donor policies.
- Manage the overall programme and support functions, including reviewing and refining the management
- Analyse humanitarian needs, trends and political developments in the country of operation.
- Ensure all programme activities and support functions comply with applicable national and international laws.
Donor Relations Management
- Develop and maintain contact with the in-country representatives of relevant funding partners (e.g. institutional donors or private donor organisations) in order to secure funding for the country programme.
- Oversee the drafting and presentation of all proposals, operational and financial reports related to the country programme, in collaboration with the relevant senior field managers and GSO staff.
- Develop and maintain relationships with authorities, donors, media, other NGOs and embassies with the objective of raising public awareness and identifying funding opportunities and other potential partnerships.
- Ensure that the GSO Engagement Dep. receives material for communication and fund-raising activities.
- Support the planning and construction of project budgets, with relevant senior field managers and GSO staff.
- Manage the spending within the programme in-line with the approved budgets. Analyse projected cash flow, decide on the timing of major procurements, oversee audits and anticipate where over or under spending may occur and ensure necessary action is taken.
- Ensure sufficient and appropriate controls are in place to prevent fraud and that relevant staff receive the required information and training to minimise the risk of occurrence within the country programme.
- Oversee all HR related issues within the programme including job descriptions, recruitment, performance management, development and training, health and safety, team structures, capability disciplinary action, etc. in collaboration with the relevant staff and managers.
- Reflect the vision and values of Medair when interacting with team members and provide them with leadership, advice, support and appropriate communication.
- Oversee the updating and implementation of country location security plans, guidelines and manuals.
- Ensure appropriate security procedures and awareness are maintained throughout the country programme.
- Take the lead on decision making and contingency planning during security incidents or threats.
- Ensure country programmes are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards.
- Ensure frequent and appropriate monitoring and evaluation of programme activities and outputs, implementing corrective actions as required.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Development Studies / Business Administration or in a relevant technical subject.
- Excellent English (spoken and written). Ability to speak, or willingness to learn, local language (Arabic).
- 5 years post-qualification experience in a management position.
- 3 years post-qualification experience in a complex humanitarian emergency.
- Experience in the design, monitoring of implementation and evaluation of humanitarian / emergency programmes. Experience in dealing with donors and government officials.
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards and other international humanitarian guidelines and protocols. Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills.
- Advanced leadership and project management skills. Committed to consultative and servant leadership.
- Experience of representation at national and local levels.
Medair is an international non-governmental organisation whose purpose is to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. Medair aims to assist people affected by natural disasters and conflict to recover with dignity through the delivery of quality humanitarian aid.
Location: Ecublens, Switzerland (Global Support Office)
Medair is an international humanitarian organization inspired
by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s
most remote and devastated places.
Since 1989, we’ve been helping people in crisis –
regardless of race, creed or nationality –
to survive and recover with dignity.
For jobs from Medair in Sudan visit : Medair Jobs Page