Senior Supply Associate – UNHCR
|Organization||United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees|
|Job Title||Senior Supply Associate|
|Family Location Type||Family|
This position is advertised open to internal and external applicants.
Procedures and Eligibility
Interested applicants should consult the Administrative Instruction on Recruitment and Assignment of Locally Recruited Staff (RALS).
Duties and Qualifications
Senior Supply Associate
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Senior Supply Associate manages and supports all activities pertaining to the supply chain function including planning, sourcing & procurement, transport, shipping, customs clearance, warehousing, assets & fleet management and monitoring, as applicable for the area of responsibility (AoR).
The incumbent is supervised by a higher level supply position and receives regular guidance and instructions from the supervisor on successive steps. S/he may supervise some general service and/or AWF staff. The incumbent maintains regular contact on a working level on routine issues with other UNHCR offices, UN agencies, NGOs, government partners and commercial contractors in the area to facilitate performing the supply function. The duty of the Senior Supply Associate is to support and monitor the management of material resources within the geographical area covered while exercising efficiency in the use of the available resources.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
– In compliance with supply chain rules and procedures, support the related supply activities to facilitate UNHCR end to end processes resulting in a timely and quality delivery of goods and services to persons of concern.
– Prepare plans for delivery of relief and other non-food items according to the operational needs and regularly update the information in UNHCR IT systems.
– Apply UNHCR’s sourcing & procurement strategy when planning for purchase of important commodities and services. Update the information in UNHCR IT systems.
– Prepare supply chain management plans, implement them and provide information on the status of requests and the availability of items in the different steps of the supply chain.
– Maintain accurate and comprehensive records on supply activities and provide timely reports and updates both periodically and on request.
– Evaluate purchase requisitions to ensure that specifications, delivery dates and all other requirements are in order.
– Draft and dispatch quotation requests and/or tenders, assist in the evaluation of offers and draft bid-tabulations and prepare proposals for award of contracts to the Committee on Contracts.
– Prepare Purchase Orders and send confirmations, requests for inspection and other correspondence.
– Support warehouse management; monitor the manufacture/transport of ordered goods and relocations of goods between UNHCR warehouses to ensure timely delivery.
– Provide guidance and advice on UNHCR procurement policies and procedures to support and assist requesting operations, HQ entities and others, as applicable.
– Ensure that PPE agreements are properly issued and signed.
– Ensure proper preparation of disposal forms and cases for the Asset Management Board.
– Provide asset management reports, customised reports, and gather information on all assets and provide in-depth reports periodically and when requested.
– Monitor the quality and accuracy of supply chain related data in relevant business systems. Compile and analyse statistical information, identify trends and developments in supply chain related matters that will assist in decision making.
– Disseminate, promote commitment to and monitor compliance with UNHCR’s global policies, standards and guidance on supply chain management.
In the Regional Bureaux:
– Track the progress of specific operations and advice senior regional and/or country operation¿s management including guidance that ensures timely implementation and/or corrective actions, as required.
– Assist in coaching and advising individuals as requested.
– Track global Supply KPIs for the region and assist in devising regional ones, as required.
– Monitor all periodic Supply exercises such as monthly reconciliations, quarterly physical inventory exercises, and year-end accounts closure procedures and ensure compliance through provision of guidance and advice to senior regional and country operation¿s managers.
– Assist Country Operations in MSRP management.
– Support the analysis of country financial reports and work with the Country Operations Supply Team leaders to address red areas relating to Supply aspects of operations by providing advice and corrective measures in compliance with Supply and Financial rules and regulations.
– Support the country needs assessment plans and ensure their full inclusion/reflection in the regional procurement plans. Monitor the implementation and propose/review revisions based on operational needs.
In the Country Operations:
– Ensure local liaison with partners to effectively support the supply activities.
– Provide effective local support to UNHCR supply chain to develop an infrastructure that accommodates the needs of its operation.
– Manage storage of goods according to “best practices” and UNHCR rules and regulations.
– Ensure timely customs clearance of consignments.
– Coordinate supply activities of UNHCR Partners and/or contractors performing supply related activities, and ensure that they understand and adhere to relevant UNHCR rules and procedures.
– Establish PPE status through regular physical verification.
– Manage PPE disposal process for the old/obsolete items according to Asset Management Board decisions and plan for replacement items.
– Implement effective asset and fleet management that regularly monitors the asset/fleet pool, saves cost and safeguards the investment of the organisation including receipt, inspection, registration & marking of new Property, Plant and Equipment (PPE), and organisation of the physical verification of PPE.
– Adapt local supply chain structures to be consistent with the operational needs. Ensure effective information flow in the supply chain and adapt local process to the prevailing environment.
– Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G7 – 4 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
Certificates and/or Licenses
Trade, Commerce, Business Administration, Economics,
Marketing or other relevant field.
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Other UN procurement and logistics training ¿ such as IAPSO and UNPD.
- IT-Computer Literacy
- SC-PeopleSoft Supply Chain Management
- SC-Supply Planning
- SC-Public procurement
- SC-Customs clearance
- SC-Warehouse Management
- SC-Asset Management
- SC-Fleet Management
- (Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
- For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
- For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.