Area Coordinator, Kassala – Samaritan’s Purse
|Date Posted:||Oct 28, 2020|
|Job Location:||Kassala State, Sudan|
|Language Requirement:||Fluency in English (required)|
|Travel Expectations:||Travel periodically to the fields|
A day in the life of an Area Coordinator, Kassala
At Samaritan’s Purse, the Gospel really is the center of all we do! We start each day with a time of devotions and prayer. We hear from members of our staff, both from IHQ and our global offices, as well a special guest speakers who encourage us in God’s word. We then join together to prayer for one another, as well as praying for staff and volunteers who serve around the globe. We get paid to start each day this way!
Summary of Job
This position reports directly to the Country Director and is responsible for overall oversight, leadership, and management of all nutrition, water/sanitation, hygiene, education, and primary health projects in Kassala state. Major responsibilities include program design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, budget tracking, fundraising support, liaising with local government and NGO/CBO partners, staff capacity development, and internal liaising with senior staff. The Area Coordinator ensures programs align with Samaritan’s Purse’s strategy, donor standards, and local laws. Other essential duties include the management of operations, safety and security, human resources, financial reporting, community relations, and internal communications.
Qualifications & Experience
- Strong understanding of development concepts (especially protection, M&E, and community education) and ability to think creatively about relief and development in a challenging area
- Ability to operate for up to 6 weeks at a time in austere conditions; able to travel on a regular basis to areas with few basic services
- Able to communicate and operate in a difficult cross-cultural context;
- Above average verbal and email communication skills
- Microsoft Office suite competency
- Flexible and adaptable in the midst of an ever-evolving program and a constantly changing political/social environment
- Arabic a strong asset
- Bachelor’s degree; 3-4 years related experience and/or education and training in Health or WASH programming is preferred
- Previous experience working in Humanitarian Aid, particularly in Sudan or Northern Africa
- Field level management experience
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk extensively in rough terrain. The employee is frequently exposed to outdoor weather conditions. Noise level is moderate (example: business office with computers and printers, light traffic). The employee is occasionally required to lift or move up to 40 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job: The environment is hot, with little rain, with austere field locations with very basic services.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Medical, prescription, dental & vision coverage
- Disability insurance
- Term Life insurance
- Retirement savings plan (after 1yr)
- 10 paid holidays (holiday observance will depend on the host country)
- 12 vacation days per year
- Annual home leave