Community Mobilizer Associate – UNDP
|Organization||United Nations Development Programme|
|Title||Community Mobilizer Associate|
|Practice Area – Job Family||Management|
|Vacancy End Date||24/05/2021 (Midnight New York, USA)|
|Duty Station||Khartoum, Sudan|
|Education & Work Experience||C-HS Graduate or Equivalent – 6 year(s) experience, G-Bachelor’s Level Degree – 3 year(s) experience|
|Languages||Required: Arabic, English|
|Vacancy Type||Service Contract (SC)|
|Contract Duration||One Year|
UN-Habitat is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UN-Habitat in Sudan has developed in recent years a complex but consistent programme that addresses sustainable urbanization, public/basic services delivery, urban and regional planning, housing, land and properties rights and livelihoods, among other aspects, with activities ranging from policy and strategy making, to studies and assessments, training and capacity development, implementation of physical interventions at the local level, using participatory approach and alternative construction technologies. Up to now the programme has been implemented in Khartoum State, Darfur, Blue Nile State and White Nile state and has the ambition to expand to Eastern Sudan, as well as starting national initiatives.
UN-Habitat and Government of Norway concluded a Framework Agreement on December 2020 for funding Project entitled: Transition to Sustainable Peace and Social Cohesion and Peaceful Co-existence in Blue Nile. The project objective is to improve security and stabilization of communities affected by conflict in Blue Nile through supporting the Sudanese Government, Blue Nile State Government and CSOs, to address the root causes and driver of the conflict, and to rebuild the social contract with and between all elements of the population and equitable provision of basic services, secured land tenure and property rights in addition to livelihood opportunities for youth and women.
The project will work closely with the government counterparts including State Ministry of Physical Planning and Infrastructure, Ministry of Youth and Sport, Ministry of Agriculture, and the four target localities in Blue Nile State
The Community Mobilizer Associate will work under the guidance and close supervision of the team leader and overall supervision of the UN-Habitat Head of Programme and National Programme Coordinator.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Create an enabling environment for participatory planning
- Contribute to design and implementation of outreach activities
- Undertake social mobilization activities
- Monitor local vocational training institutions
- Ensure genuine participation of local beneficiaries
- Assist community initiatives
- Establish, in collaboration of the project team, network mechanisms
- Support, in collaboration of the project team, Women, Youth and IDPs Land title ownership system and properties are strengthened and land tenure at return and reintegration sites addressed
- Establish, in collaboration of Monitoring and Communication Offer, peacebuilding platforms
- Disseminate, in collaboration of M&E and Communication Officer staff and consultants, regular peace and awareness messages
- Engage women and girls and ensure effective participation
- Sensitize and mobilize community-based organizations
- Undertake additional tasks as asked by the team leader as required.
1.Create an enabling environment for participatory planning :
- Implementation processes at all levels
2.Contribute to design and implementation of outreach activities.
- Conduct in collaboration of project team sessions on awareness raising for women and girls’ rights
3.Undertake social mobilization activities to encourage beneficiaries specially women :
- Take part in livelihood enhancement skills trainings (LEST) and other related training programs;
- Being part of process for selection of trainees for vocational and handicraft trainings based on agreed upon criteria.
4.Monitor local vocational training institutions :
- Carry out activities to enhance socio-economic conditions/livelihood of local beneficiaries by acquiring the required skills.
5.Ensure genuine participation of local beneficiaries :
- Strong emphasis on women, youth, and disadvantaged groups on urban agriculture interventions
- Ensure compliance with the required procedures and legitimacy with respect to land tenure and legal status of the CBO(s).
6.Assist community initiatives.
- With their community and group proposals jointly with Project team leader and support the communities and groups in the planning and implementation of youth-led and women-led joint initiatives for livelihood and solidarity
7.Establish, in collaboration of the project team, network mechanisms :
- From existing youth and women led CSOs to promote dialogues, build consensus towards reconciliation.
- Support, in collaboration of the project team, Women, Youth and IDPs Land title ownership system and properties are strengthened and land tenure at return and reintegration sites addressed.
- Establish, in collaboration of Monitoring and Communication Offer, peacebuilding platforms :
- Through innovative use of media (including social media), to bring socially committed women and youth groups (musicians and artists) from different ethnicities, and other groups that resonate in grassroots society.
10.Disseminate, in collaboration of M&E and Communication Officer staff and consultants, regular peace and awareness messages:
- Through drama and interviews/dialogues broadcasting by radio and TV with different local languages for supporting peaceful coexistence and gender equality focusing on norms, traditions and social challenges.
11.Engage women and girls and ensure effective participation in COVID-19.
- Response planning, decision making and implementation.
13.Sensitize and mobilize community-based organizations.
- dentify problems and possible interventions as well as facilitate their full participation towards project ownership.
- Demonstrates commitment to UN-Habitat’s mission, vision and values.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Building Strategic Partnerships
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Responds to client needs promptly
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
Required Skills and Experience
- Completion of the secondary education OR
- A Bachelor’s degree in fields related to economics, public policy, social science, or other related field.
- Six years with secondary education OR 3 years with Bachelor’s degree of relevant experience in design, implementation and management of community mobilization and/or communication projects
- Good command in spoken and written English and Arabic