Administrative Assistant – UNDP
|Organization||United Nations Development Programme|
|Practice Area – Job Family||Management|
|Vacancy End Date||22/02/2021 (Midnight New York, USA)|
|Duty Station||Khartoum, Sudan|
|Education & Work Experience||C-HS Graduate or Equivalent – 5 year(s) experience, G-Bachelor’s Level Degree – 2 year(s) experience|
|Languages||Required: Arabic, English|
|Vacancy Type||TA Local|
|Contract Duration||6 months|
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The Administrative Assistant will be part of the UN clinic team in Sudan that is administrated by UNDP. Based on the high demand for health services for UN staff in Sudan, the UN Country Team (UNCT) has decided to increase the capacity of the UN Clinic by recruiting an Administrative Assistant who will be part of the Clinic Management Team led by WHO.
Under the guidance and supervision of the UN Clinic Manager, the incumbent will work in the UN Clinic on a full-time basis, support the UN clinic operations by performing a variety of standard administrative functions ensuring high quality of work. S/he promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach, and works in close collaboration with all the UN Clinic staff in the exchange of information and ensures consistent service delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of operational strategies.
- Support effective and efficient functioning of the UN clinic.
- Support administrative and logistical services UN clinic.
- Support office maintenance and assets management UN clinic.
- Support knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
1. Ensures implementation of operational strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of administrative activities within UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Provision of inputs to the UN Clinic business processes mapping and implementation of the internal standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Provision of inputs to preparation of administrative team results-oriented workplans.
2. Ensures effective and efficient functioning of the UN Clinic.
- Is the first contact with visitors and staff visiting the UN Clinic,
- Arranges appointments and meetings for staff/visitors visiting the UN Clinic
- Takes Minutes of all meetings taking place at the UN clinic.
- Compiles and prepares briefing and presentation materials, speeches, background information and documentation for meetings and missions.
- Acts as an interpreter and translates simple correspondences when needed.
3. Ensures effective administrative and logistical support, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Under guidance of the UN Doctor, organizes the different medications and vaccines as required,
- Under guidance of UN Doctor, prepares Customs Clearance documents and documents for UN Clinic shipments (received/sent), and ensures follow-up actions.
- Performs the Buyer role in Atlas and prepares POs for travel activities.
- Support to organization of procurement processes including preparation of all documents, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their preliminary evaluation. Preparation of POs.
- Ensure timely procurement of Medications, consumables, vaccines and medical Equipment from the local and international market.
- Facilitates filling of Oxygen Cylinders and maintenance of lab equipment.
- Custodian for management of office stationery supplies including maintenance of stock list of stationery, distribution of stationery as required by UN Clinic staff, and keeps a log of distribution.
- Maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials.
- Extracts data from various sources as required.
- Assists in the preparation of budget, provision of information for audit.
- Follow up with the agencies on their staffing numbers and sending out the debit notes to agencies for settlements.
- Follow up on receipt of payment.
- Monitoring of the UN Clinic expenditure against the budget.
4. Provides support to office maintenance and assets management, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintains up to date records of UN Clinic assets and prepares reports on the same.
- Maintains up to date files and records relevant to office maintenance.
5. Support knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the training for the operations/projects staff on administration.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Ability to make new and useful ideas work: Analyzes complex technical materials (including data) and makes concise, relevant recommendations
Ability to persuade others to follow: Proactively identifies new opportunities and challenges.
Ability to improve performance and satisfaction: Takes ownership of responsibilities.
Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform: Understands, explains and shares information on assigned tasks with accuracy and clarity.
Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement: Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
Building Strategic Partnerships
Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things.
- Documents innovative strategies and new approaches.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
- Provides inputs to the development of simple system components
- Makes recommendations related to work procedures and implementation of management systems
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and professional manner
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Responds to client needs promptly
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
- Prepares timely inputs to reports
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary education preferably with specialized certification in Administration.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Project Management, and any otherrelated fields would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- 5 years (with Secondary education), or 2 years (with Bachelor degree) in administration or programme support service.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.).
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems.
Fluency in the English and Arabic is required.