Medical Laboratory Technician – UNV
|Organization||United Nations Volunteers|
|Duty Station||Abyei (SDN)|
|Duration||until 30 June 2022 with possibility of extension|
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Description of task
Under the direct supervision of the Chief Medical Officer (CMO), the incumbent will provide laboratory testing services both routine and specialized, i.e., chemistry, electrolytes, serology and bacteriology. The incumbent is expected to collect specimens of urine, sputum, stool, blood and swaps. These services are extended to all the mission employees and as required to other UN organizations.
- The candidate assures standard operative process for sterilization and biological waste disposal;
- Responsible to keep all laboratory equipment and accessories clean and store properly;
- S/he will be immediately responsible and held accountable for the safety and custody of all Lab equipments, reagents and related supplies assigned to that unit.
- Clearly explains procedures to patients beforehand;
- Report immediately to the examining physician about positive results like Malaria;
- Occasionally, the incumbent of the post is required to stay in the clinic for extra working hours to attend the emergency cases;
- Communicate new discoveries and procedures to the medical team;
- Advices the CMO an update and new discoveries in relation to laboratory technology;
- As a routine procedure of the clinic, the incumbent is expected to fill daily statistics and monthly reports;
- Generally, the incumbent is required to work in team with medical staff towards achieving the goals of the clinic;
Any other tasks assigned by the supervisor.
Required degree level: Bachelor degree or equivalent
Education – Additional Comments:
Diploma from a recognized school of laboratory technician. A degree in related field will be considered as an advantage. Registered professional medical laboratory technician.
Required experience: 60 Months
Previous working experience in a DPKO mission is an added advantage. Ability to working in Microsoft Office and Lotus Notes. Knowledge of Access is an advantage.
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Area of expertise: Medical laboratory testing
Driving license: Yes
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment and Motivation, Integrity.
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of
your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly,
select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage
and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.